Designing Cities for All
Livecast Book Launch: 18 views on Designing Cities for All
In 2021, Pakhuis de Zwijger’s extensive two-year programme Designing Cities for All (DCFA) commenced with the support of the Creative Industry Fund NL. This programme focuses on the role of designers in shaping and creating cities for and by everyone. We have involved a great diversity of talent; invited designers, scientists, experts, educational institutions, and six Fellows to curate part of the programme. To share their knowledge, to work together, and inspire each other to build inclusive solutions from the ground up.
Designing for inclusion starts with recognising exclusion first. Understanding design is also how to make sense of your observations in a way that isn’t biased by your own world views. We need to educate ourselves on human diversity, and we need proper design tools that give voice to people whose needs are often ignored. To end and celebrate the first year, we publish 18 views on Designing Cities for All, and an essay book in which all the authors are committed to creating cities of belonging, where everybody feels and is allowed to feel at home. These essays will help you understand how design is part of the problem, but also holds the key to the solution.
Join for the book launch as we introduce past speakers and explore topics from the book!
The essay book contains contributions by:
- Laura Adèr | International affairs professional & co-founder of Fairspace
- Galit Ariel | TechnoFuturist & Founder and Head of Futures at Future Memory Inc.
- Rudy van Belkom | Transition designer, founder Design for Transition & Futures Researcher at Netherlands Study Centre for Technology Trends
- Joost Beunderman | Director Dark Matter Laboratories, 00 Architects
- Maurice Crul | Professor educatie en diversiteit VU Amsterdam en Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Simon Dogger | Sound and sense designer
- Marie van Driessche | Interaction Designer & Teacher UX / UI at Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- Sennay Ghebreab | Out-of-the-AI-box thinker, educator, changemaker & Scientific Director of the Civic AI Lab
- Nyasha Harper-Michon | Archtivist & Purpose-driven Architect and Business developer at RAU
- Indy Johar | Co-founder of 00, Good Growth by Design advocate, Boardmember FabCity
- Lyongo Juliana | Architect, Director Caribbean Region at OZarchitect & Designing Cities for All Fellow
- OluTimehin Kukoyi | Writer & advocate at the intersection of social justice, human rights and inclusion
- Dr. Maggi Leung | Associate Professor in International Development Studies at Utrecht University & Co-Researcher 'Welcoming Spaces'
- Nica Renoult | Financial accounts at Patta & Co-Founder Trickle
- Nishant Shah | Feminist, humanist, technologist and Director of Research and Outreach & Professor Aesthetics and Culture of Technologies at ArtEZ University of the Arts
- Jacquie Shaw | Strategic Futurist & Design Anthropologist
- Rut Turró | Researcher Fashion and Disability needs & Founder Movingmood
- Aminata Cairo | Consultant and author Holding Space
You can join this event online or live!
More info and reserve on the Pakhuis de Zwijger website