Advantages for public / private collaborations
TKI CLICKNL has been set up with the aim of strengthening public/private partnerships in research and innovation in the Creative Industry. This includes, amongst others, inviting those interested to apply for a so-called PPS grant. TKI CLICKNL can apply for a PPS project grant from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RvO) to help finance public private research projects. The PPS can lead to a grant of 30% above the private contributions for each research project.
In order to apply for a PPS grant in a public-private research project, project partners have to submit a project proposal to TKI CLICKNL. The proposal will then be assessed on:
1) the extent to which the project is a true public/private partnership,
2) the project matches the TKI CLICK NL knowledge and innovation programme,
3) there is a signed partnership agreement,
4) all project partners contribute to the project in kind and/or in cash,
5) the resulting knowledge and intellectual property are not just for the private partners.
On submission, project proposals should always comply with the rules and conditions that apply for the deployment of PPS Project Grants in research projects. For more information, see the RvO website.
- There is a signed partnership agreement;
- There are at least two participants, including a research organisation and an entrepreneur who jointly share the project work and risks;
- The project consists of fundamental research, industrial research, experimental development, or a combination thereof;
- The projects contribute to the Dutch knowledge infrastructure (thus contract research will, in principle, not be approved);
- To apply for a PPS grant, a project plan, a partnership agreement, and a project budget must be prepared before the start of the project in accordance with the RvO template, and submitted to the RvO. The project may only start after the application has been submitted to RvO.
The value of the PPS grant is based on the total private contribution for the entire duration of the project. The PPS grant must form an integral part of the project budget. It is important that, in the plan, there is evidence of a cash flow from the participating private party(s) to the participating research institute(s). All other investments by private parties in the project will be seen as ‘in kind’ support.
Please also note that when submitting and applying for a PPS grant, TKI CLICKNL will request a general contribution for project management for the CLICKNL programme. The value of this contribution is calculated as a percentage of the requested fee.
Role of the parties concerned
- The RvO assesses the application, decides on the award, and sends the value of the grant to TKI CLICKNL.
- CLICKNL decides whether or not the parties involved should apply for an RvO grant; submits the application to the RvO, and issues payment of the award to the project manager of the research project
- The project manager and project partners compile the application, including budget and partnership agreement
- Private parties provide the private contributions (cash and / or in kind)
The process steps
- Draw up a project plan and budget, including the value of the grant using the RvO template. Consult with TKI for initial go ahead.
- Draw up and sign partnership agreement with private party(ies)
- Submit the application to TKI
- TKI will then apply for a grant from the RvO
- RvO reviews the proposal, and may ask additional questions and changes; any iterations are processed by TKI
- If approved, TKI receives the award decision and the grant sum
- TKI remits the sum to the knowledge institute’s bank account
- Accountability is based on the terms of allocation, including annual reporting.
At the bottom of this page, you can find and download the template for both the project plan and budget.
Submission time frame
Project proposals for PPS grants can, in principle, be submitted to TKI CLICKNL throughout the year. However, the submission period for the RvO Project grant applications (usually) runs from January to mid-October each year.
Appendices - Project plan template PDF
- Budget template PDF
- CLICKNL knowledge and innovation programme
Should you have any questions about the PPS Research and Innovation grant, submitting a project proposal and request, please contact Marcel Mokveld, email@example.com.